I was so excited for today to begin. Why? Because today I got to give a lecture on eating disorders to an undergrad biopsychology class! Unfortunately, as I was headed out the door I started to get a migraine. Although the aura I got was pretty bad (lost almost all vision, saw zig zag lines, and color blobs), the actually migraine that followed was quickly eliminated with Excedrin + caffeine :) So, I was able to give the lecture! Woo hoo! The lecture went really well! Everyone answered and asked questions which was AWESOME. I was a little worried that they'd be quiet, but they quickly proved me wrong...I didn't even get through all of my slides!
Tonight I made a new dish: Curried Chickpeas and Broccoli over Brown Rice
*Everyone likes curry dishes prepared differently, so add however much of the spices and garlic that you prefer. This recipe is better as a guide/how to.
-1 can chickpeas
-2ish cups of broccoli (I steamed this)
-garlic (I used 5 cloves)
-1 bay leaf
-3 TB curry powder
-2(?) TB cumin (I always add more in the end)
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp paprika
-1/2 tsp sugar
-salt and pepper to taste...along with cayenne pepper (at the end only)
-1 cup of plain yogurt (I used fat free greek yogurt)
1. Get the brown rice going, because it takes about 30 minutes.
2. Saute onion and garlic in a pan with olive oil until brown/yellow.
3. Add all of the spices. Cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Add chickpeas and steamed broccoli.
5. Add yogurt (this could be added before or after the chickpeas+broccoli).
6. The longer you simmer this, the more flavorful it will become. However, if you are starving (like I was), I only simmered it for 8-10 minutes and it was fine.
7. Add whatever else that the dish is missing. Everyone likes their curry a little different. I typically taste it and add more curry, cumin, sugar, salt, cinnamon, or whatever depending on my mood.